So I half-wrote this on the plane, but the screen on my Palm decided to kick it, rendering my post (and entire journal) completely inaccessible. Fuck. I'm too tired to reconstruct it so here's the abridged version...
This weekend I spent 30 hours in southwest Florida, visiting my father. He lives in Estero, which lies between Ft. Myers and Naples, on the Gulf coast.
After arriving Saturday morning we dropped off our bags and spent the rest of the day on the boat. Now, my father's boat, the Charly II (Charly I being his beloved cat) is nothing fancy, but enough to get us out on open water and enjoy the beautiful day. We anchored off Lovers Key beach and swam around a bit before getting some lunch (mmm grouper fingers) and heading back home.
We ended the day watching the sun disappear behind the water, something you just don't really get to see on the east coast and certainly not in New York (grainy cameraphone pic below.)

Today we just drove to Old Naples and walked around a bit (yes it was HOT) then caught the 5:00 back to JFK. It was a short visit, just a little over a day, but more than enough -- our relationship, while vastly improved, is amicable at best.
Nevertheless, I'm glad we went.

No comments:
Post a Comment