I hate Starbucks. I don't think anyone who works there actually drinks coffee, based on how poorly its prepared. However, being a creature of habit I still go there every day. Its somewhat predictable in its inconsistency (coffee will be served before its finished brewing, too much milk in the lattes, etc). But I recently discovered a way to make the experience much more enjoyable (and cost-efficient).

I usually order a plain old tall coffee. Very straightforward. To mix it up I may order a double tall latte (two shots of espresso with steamed milk) or a doppio macchiato (two shots of espresso topped with foam). With the heat being what it is this week, I've been going iced -- which means they up the charge. But I've concocted a way around this...
ICED LATTE
Their version:
Mmm chilled and yummy and...wait...one shot of espresso and too much milk? Blech! I always have to order this as a double-tall because one shot just isn't enough. That adds another $0.55 to the tally, bringing the total to a wallet-busting $3.55.
NEW version:
Order a doppio espresso over ice. That's exactly what it sounds like -- a double shot of espresso poured over ice served in a tall sized iced beverage cup. By my house that runs $2.06. Add FREE milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar etc, shake a bit and voilà! You have an lovely iced latte and saved $1.50. With just the right amount of milk. Yum.
ICED CAPPUCCINO
Their version:
Again, you have to order the double-tall. Its prepared the same way as the iced latte except they (supposedly) use less milk and throw some foam on top. All for $3.55.
NEW version:
Order a doppio macchiato over ice. Its the same as the doppio espresso except with foam on top and costs a little more, $2.55 or so. To transform into an iced cappuccino, carefully pour the FREE milk of your choosing into the cup so as to not disturb the foam. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top and voilà! A tasty iced cappuccino and you saved a buck.
Take that, Starbucks!

No comments:
Post a Comment