Tuesday, May 29, 2007

excerpts from my day off

I set the alarm clock for 7am, figuring it was technically a work day and I'd better get used to not sleeping in, besides I had slept plenty over the holiday weekend, including all of Sunday afternoon. I snoozed for another 2 hours. OK so not work day early but pretty good, with lots of day left to fill.

But what to fill it with? I had thought of trekking into town, maybe head up to the Cloisters, but I couldn't convince anyone to play hooky with me so over breakfast I nixed my grander plans in favor of some local me time.

Like taking my bike out for the first time in...what? Two years? I dusted the thing off, filled the tires and headed out, sans helmet no less, weaving between scary conversion vans, fleets of Access-A-Rides and the occasional old lady. Typical Forest Hills.

Also typical Forest Hills are Manhattan-priced nail salons, though on a snoozy late Tuesday morning my go-to place was gloriously empty, and I enjoyed a leisurely mani-pedi. Awesome.

My travels intentionally extended no further than Kew Gardens, where I had lunch with my Mom, who is great in small doses and was surprisingly not insane (today), probably because I bought lunch and she had someone to yap to about her equally insane friends. Though I had sworn off chores for the day I did the good daughter thing and stopped by the house to lift some heavy stuff and scold her for leaving several lit candles precariously around the apartment. Sigh. And one wonders why I have no children.

The rest of the day I enjoyed alone on the couch, occasionally eyeing work email but resisting the urge to respond, with thankfully nothing too alarming coming in to require immediate response.

I need more days like today.

No comments: