Saturday, June 02, 2007

caught

My photo blog is somewhat photojournalistic, moments captured during my travels near and far. Mostly inanimate objects, and never people.

But sometimes people don't appreciate my documenting.

Take last night for example. I was sitting at a bar, some random mid-town place where we stopped to catch some of the baseball games before dinner. Sitting on the bar was a gallon sized jug that formerly held mayonnaise, but currently half-filled with some strange brown liquid. But the liquid wasn't what caught my attention. It was the label:

MAYONNAISE
Extra Heavy-Duty!

Extra Heavy-Duty? As if it were not intended for consumption but some other, um, use. So of course I had to capture that.

Unfortunately the light was low and the first shot came out too dark. Before I could re-adjust and try again the bartender flew over, grabbed the jar and stuck it somewhere under the bar, shot me a dirty look and said "What, are you with the Department Of Health!?" She was not happy.

I tried to explain but the hilarity of the label was completely lost on her. Clearly I was there to shut the place down.

The brown liquid remains a mystery.

No comments: