Thursday, September 28, 2006

three down...

Congratulations Julianne & Gregg.  Congratulations Kevin & Carrie.

 

These were the second and third of six weddings we're attending this year.  Both were this past Saturday, so we split up -- Eric stormed the castle, and I held down the fort.



I had spent Friday night in Westchester for Kevin & Carrie's rehearsal dinner, which was bowling and beer at the White Plains Lanes, and a great time.  The next morning I headed back to town through the rain on the Metro-North, arriving home with just enough time to grab something to eat and get myself ready before I was out the door again, this time on the Brooklyn-bound F.

 

The last time I had really walked around DUMBO was in September of 2001, and much has changed since then.  Julianne's ceremony was held in Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park, which wasn't quite a park in 2001, but more of a grassy neglected piece of land between the two bridges, the bright orange temporary fencing both a sign of development and a warning to stay away, and what is now the Tobacco Warehouse (capital T capital W, available for special events) was no more than a creepy shell of a building.


The wedding itself was a simple and beautiful ceremony, with the Brooklyn Bridge providing the backdrop, and the sun broke through the clouds at just the right moment.  And afterwards we turned to face the Manhattan Bridge, walking through the renovated park, past the Warehouse to celebrate at Bubby's.

 

This weekend finds me in Cohoes for wedding #4, and two weeks after that we'll be in L.A., which I'm really looking forward to, as I haven't been there in some time, and there are lots of places I want to check out.  Can't wait.

No comments: