Sunday, January 14, 2007

beer and pizza

We were supposed to meet our friends at Sutton Place -- the sort of bar that plays the Fray and Nickelback, and everyone's doing shots. I was transported to 1996, and not in a good way. Luckily our friends had relocated so we immediately exited to meet up with them at yet another midtown bar, Corner 51, which was empty and like most bars in the area, offered a disappointing beer selection. I opted for Guinness, which is technically good for you, and surprisingly not as caloric as one might suspect. And a favorite of mine. Not quite what I had in mind for my first night gently stepping off the wagon, but it sufficed.
The highlight of the evening was still to come.
Walking towards the subway, and feeling slightly hungry (and DYING for pizza) I spied a glowing sign and was immediately drawn to it. We were on 2nd Ave and 52nd Street, and the sign was for Krunch Pizza Bar, where they serve crisp square thin crust pizza with a variety of toppings. We shared the Salsiccia and the Margherita, and finished with the Pizza Fagioli -- tomato, Tuscan beans, tiny cubes of pancetta and a sprinkle of gorgonzola. Yum. They were light and fresh and the three small pieces added up to about one slice of regular pizza so not too bad.

No comments: